A - G Requirements
A-G Requirements and College
If you are considering applying to a four-year university in California (CSU or UC) upon high school graduation, the completion of the A-G requirements are mandatory. The A-G Requirements are a number of courses approved by the UC designed to prepare high school students for college-level curriculum (classes designated with a "p" on student transcripts) .
While looking over the A-G requirements, keep in mind the following:
- All A-G coursework must be completed with a grade of "C" or better in order for the requirement to be satisfied
- Complete a minimum of 15 college- preparatory courses ("A-G" courses) with at least 11 finished prior to the beginning of your senior year
The A-G requirements are as follows:
A. History/Social Science - 2 years
- One year of World History, Cultures, or Geography
- One year of U.S. History or one semester of US History and one semester of American Government
B. English - 4 years
C. Mathematics - 3 years
- One year of Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2
- 4 years recommended
D. Laboratory Science - 2 years
- UCs require two years of science within the disciplines of Biology, Chemistry, or Physics
- CSUs require one year of a Biological Science and one year of a Physical Science
- 3 years recommended
E. Language Other than English - 2 years
- Two years of the same language
- 3 years recommended
F. Visual & Performing Arts - 1 year
G. College-Preparatory Elective - 1 year
- A course listed in sections A-F may used to satisfy the 'G' Requirement or another course approved by the university.
NOTE: Taking the A-G courses is NOT the only way to satisfy these requirements. You also meet them by completing college courses such as at a community college, SAT, SAT Subject Tests, Advance Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) exams by the December of your senior year. If needed, refer to your counselor or Ms. Farrell in the College and Career Center to further discuss these options.
Detailed information and a complete list of A-G courses offered at VHS are available online for each academic school year.
More information on how to satisfy an A-G requirement by taking an exam listed above can be found here.
Below are documents that may assist.