MY MIND REBELS AT STAGNATION.
Give me problems, give me work,
give me the most abstruse cryptogram,
or the most intricate analysis,
and I am in my own proper atmosphere.
I can dispense then with artificial stimulants.
But I abhor the dull routine of existence.
I CRAVE FOR MENTAL EXALTATION.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
To thrive, innovate, & build an authentic community of scholars,
students will strive to meet the following expectations:
- practice scholarly behavior
- do not steal others' opportunities to learn or think (disruptions, disrespect, selfishness)
- be an example to others, a role model for others
- take initiative
- be prepared
- help others with learning
- defend your thoughts
- use evidence to support your ideas
- use multiple resources
- take risks
- respectfully challenge others
- actively participate (no "I don't know" responses)
- think "outside the box"
Foundations of Character:
Therefore, in light of the expectations of intellect and etiquette in room 401, the following rules will allow the fulfillment of success and growth:
- Always come prepared with the appropriate...
- Respect and Care ..
- the time
- all classmates
- the teacher
- the classroom (school property, books, etc.).
- Let’s keep our school materials, desks, and classroom clean!
- Be present and on timeto class everyday.
- Students must be in their seats and ready to go when the bell rings.
- Asking for paper, pencils, should not occur at any time during..we should always have extra materials ready.
- Students should not be packing up early.
- We "clean up" when there are about two minutes left before the end of the period.
- Expect to be
- reading (literature and each others' writings)
- speaking (class discussion, oral reports and performances)
- listening (eye contact)
- collaborating (working together in groups)
- Make upassignments when absent and turn in all assignments on time.
- Go through the Writing Process for compositions (pre-writing, drafting, conferencing, revising, editing, and publishing) [Language Arts Writing Standards 1, 2, 3].
- Work responsibly together when in writing conferences and literature circles [Lang. Arts Writing & Reading Standards 1, 2, 3].
- Master the writing genres (narrative, response to literature, persuasive, and expository) [Language Arts Writing Standards 2, 3].
- Achieve competency in oral language skills [Lang. Arts Written & Oral English Language Standard 1].
- Read and respond thoughtfully to a wide variety of literary and expository texts [Language Arts Writing & Reading Standards 1, 2].
- Assess and reflect upon work and progress as a writer and compile work in portfolios [Language Arts Writing Standard 1].
- Develop AND take ownershipover a pattern and habit of regular home study and independent practice.
- Adhere to the “BEHAVIOR VIOLATIONS & CONSEQUENCES” and “ATTENDANCE POLICY” (tardies, truancies, excused/unexcused absences, etc.) in the Valencia High School Student Handbook [visit the VHS website].
- Strive to meet the “Valencia High School Expected School-wide Learning Results[ESLRs]
In order for these rules to be truly implemented, we, the community of room 401, will adhere to the following:
When someone is speaking to you, pause from what you are doing & give eye-contact to that person...
- whether the teacher, other students
- during the lesson, conference, or discussion.
BEFORE THE BELL
- Students obtain necessary materials for class (pen, notebook, textbook/novel, etc)
AFTER THE BELL
- Warm-Up (Quick-Write, Grammar Exercise, &/or S.S.R.)
- Mini-Lesson (Attentiveness, Note-taking)
- Literary Task or Writing Task
- Guided Practice
- small groups, partners, lit. circles
- Independent Practice &/or Cooperative Learning
- Closure (Summary, Connection, Application, Reflection)
Failing to consistently follow the above-stated expectations, rules, or procedures, will lead to the following:
- Verbal/Non-verbal Warning given to student by teacher
- Short, personal conference and/or [depending on the severity of the offense]...
- 10 minute detention with teacher before or after school or during lunch[and/or]...
- Change of seat
- Phone call home to parents/guardians [and/or]...
- time out with another teacher
- 30--45 Minute detention with teacher[and/or]
- Referral/conference with counselor
- Student, teacher, parent conference [with administrator/counselor if necessary]
REASONS for Disciplinary Action:
- Lack of Progress
- Minor Disruptive Behavior
- Major Disruptive Behavior
- Chronic Problems
- Unprepared (for learning)
REASONS for Immediate Referral:
- No-show to Teacher-Student Detention
- Drugs, Alcohol
- Substitute Teacher (Disrespect to, disruptive behavior to, defiance towards)